9.28.2015

Arthur Binardさんのよみきかせ!


せんしゅのついよび、Arthur BinardさんのLectureとがありました!

Meeting Arthur Binard last Wednesday was an amazing experience. Binardさん is known as a Japanese-English translator as well as a author. ノートルダムの大学で Binardさん わ poetry を よみました。It was beautiful. He read everything once in Japanese and once in English. My favorite part though was when he read a children's book to us and talked about how it was hard to translate the word "and" in a way that would retain not only the meaning but the role it played in terms of sound.

"と" was not enough. It simply was too short, staccato to serve as the glue that tied the narrative flow together.

Another great moment was probably when he revealed that his mother was sitting behind me. I all but jumped in surprised. I looked over my shoulder, and there she was --a small, elderly lady.


8 comments:

  1. I wasn't able to go to this event, so I enjoyed hearing about it! That is really interesting how the translation for a word as simple as "and", と, could change the flow of a story so much. Translation between English and Japanese seems really tricky; it's amazing that he can do it in poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't attend the event. Hopefully, you will get another chance to meet Binardさん in the future. Also, yes, it was really cool, and I don't even know enough about におんご to even imagine doing something as challenging as translating poetry!

      Delete
  2. Does he usually write poetry in English then translates it to Japanese, or are there poems that he initially wrote in Japanese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said that he sometimes write in にほんご そうして ときどき 各ます(WRITE) えいごで。

      Delete
  3. The reveal that his mother was in the audience was surprising. You seemed particularly shocked to see her right behind you. It was a really fun lecture to attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SHOCKED! She was literally right behind me!
      Also, totally agree.

      Delete
  4. I couldn't attend the second event, so it was great to hear about it in your blog! I loved his insights into the relationship between Japanese words and their English translations. It really made you think about different languages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. いちばんのエーベント に いきましたか?Definitely!

      Delete